Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Is This Really Happening?

Today was a big day for me. Today I finally went back to the gym. It's been about 8 months since my last visit. Pathetic, I know. I got the idea on a whim...I was about to park my butt on the couch for the night, my usual routine, when suddenly, I looked at my husband and announced, "I think I'm going to go to the gym". He looked at me puzzled at first, like I was speaking Japanese, but his expression changed quickly and I could see he was impressed (damn, can't take it back now, I guess I really have to go).

I literally had butterflies as I drove over. The gym is not my happy place. I've always felt a little pang of insecurity going to the gym, like somebody's going to approach me when I step through the doors and tell me that I don't belong there. Once I got going though, I felt more at ease, and even a little good. I left the gym feeling optimistic and proud of myself. I'm still miles away, and it's going to take much more work, but at least I could end my day knowing I tried that extra bit harder.

Then I arrived home just as my husband was putting a tray of chocolate chip cookies (my kryptonite) in the oven. Sometimes my life feels like a bad sitcom.

1 comment:

  1. good girl! that first time is the hardest and most awkward, but after that, you get "hooked on a feeling" very quickly... enjoy. stick to it!!!!

    ReplyDelete