Tuesday, April 28, 2009

All that work for nothing

I was always the "skinny one" in the family. The one who could eat whatever she wanted and still stay thin. I can't count the times I heard my mother tell me it would all catch up to me one day as I sat on the couch eating a whole row of "Mr. Christies" chocolate chip cookies at a time. As I discovered many times while growing up, my mom is ALWAYS right.


I was 22 when the pudge came. A result of being comfortable and happy in a one-year-old relationship. We wined and dined and year after year as the relationship grew, so too did the pudge. By 26 I was, what my aunt so endearingly referred to me as, a "hefty" 145 lbs. I had gained approx 25 lbs in the 5 years my boyfriend and I had been together...and then he proposed.


We set our wedding date almost 2 years out. Plenty of time to lose the 20 lbs I told myself I would. In the first year of our engagement I dropped 5 lbs without even thinking of it, but by the time my wedding was nine months away I knew I needed to get cracking. I started Weight Watchers and immediately started noticing results. While practicing a little portion control and eliminating the unhealthy snacking, my stomach became flatter, my hips started to shrink and I started to see the body I once knew. I never did reach my goal of 25 lbs but I did manage to get my weight down to 128 lbs by the time my big day came. A total weight loss of 17 lbs! It was an accomplishment I was proud of.


I vowed to myself that I wouldn't be the girl who gains it all back. You know what they say about being a newlywed, but I was adamant that after all the hard work, I would not let that happen....


...it's been 6 months and I've already gained 12 of it back. I am officially THAT girl.


So today is the day (again) that I set out to seek my waistline. First things first, I need to tackle my weaknesses:


Fast food

Cookies

Desserts

Wine (this one won't be easy...I drink it, I cook with it, I would probably bathe in it if I had the self control not to drink it out of the tub)


As of 2pm I have consumed:


1 medium steeped tea with milk and sweetener

1 Nutrigrain bar

2lbs of leftover pasta...cooked in wine. UGH!


This is going to be tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment